Schüssler salt therapy is based on 12 mineral salts that are naturally present in our body and are essential in maintaining good health.
It is a therapy that can be used as a cure or as a preventive measure. It acts quickly and is highly effective. Schüssler salts are mainly used for acute inflammations, feverishness, pain and anaemia.
Schüssler salt therapy is a technique created by Dr. Wilhelm Heinrich Schüssler towards the end of the XIX century. Schüssler was a homeopathic doctor, but he thought that homeopathy was very complex, as it encompasses a large number of remedies; this is why he decided to create his own, clearly defined discipline.
These 12 salts are comprised of macro and microelements (calcium, sodium, potassium, iron…) that are part of the body’s organic structure (such as bones, teeth, skin…) and are indispensable for optimal cellular function.
The therapy is built around the use of 12 mineral salts that are naturally present in our body; Dr Schüssler discovered, through extensive study, that these are crucial in maintaining good health.
Their preparation and mechanism of action are similar to homeopathic remedies, in that they are taken in extremely small doses, have no side effects and the symptoms are not exacerbated.
Once the salt has been taken, it penetrates the cells directly, restoring their activity and working order. Its effects can be felt very quickly; therefore they are very useful in the treatment of acute ailments and as a preventive measure.
The salts are available in Tablet and cream form. The tablets are prepared by dissolving them in water and giving them to the animal using a syringe.
The effect is noticed in a few minutes. The creams are only suited to cats and dogs when applied to areas that are not covered in hair, but the tablets can be crushed and added to water or other substances to produce ointments or protective dressings.
12 Schüssler Salts
Salt no. 1: Calcium fluoratum (Calcium fluoride)
- Regulates the degree of tissue tension (laxity and hardening): hard tissues are softened and weak tissues are strengthened. This is because it is a natural component of the elastic fibres that form part of connective tissue and vascular walls.
Uses: lumbar pain, sprains, hernias, constipation, scar tissue, calluses, keloids, cataracts, arthrosis, warts, joint nodules, hardening of the glands, anal fissure.
- It is needed to aid the formation, hardening and resistance of bones, tendons, ligaments, teeth and nails; it can be found on the surface of bones and in tooth enamel.
Uses: nail transformations, nail fungal infections, osteoporosis, exostoses, bone deformities.
- It is a component of the skin’s elastic fibres: can be used to treat eczema
Salt no.2: Calcium phosphoricum (Calcium phosphate)
Every cell in the body contains Calcium phosphoricum; therefore it plays a leading role in cell formation, renewal and constitution processes in the body. However, its main function is to form part of the bone mass (mineralisation of the bone)
- Dysfunctions in bone and tooth formation.
Uses: it is the main remedy used in early growth; dogs who grow quickly, malnutrition, rickets, fracture consolidation and other bone ailments, delayed dentition.
- Acts upon the sympathetic nervous system. It has great revitalising properties.
Uses: weakness due to convalescence, lactation, pregnancy, stimulates nutrition, physical exhaustion in sporting animals, anaemia, hyperactive animals of a nervous disposition, senile dementia in geriatric animals; age-related urinary incontinence caused by prostate disease, cell renewal, knee synovitis, damp eczema, post-shock treatment.
Salt no. 3: Ferrum Phosphoricum (iron phosphate)
- First stage of inflammation, with swelling, reddening, heat and pain in the affected area; hyperemic and congestive phenomena causing rapid pulse and increased circulation.
Uses: following injuries, at the start of any infectious process, the early stages of inflammation, before exudation (diarrhoea, skin pathologies, conjunctivitis, bronchitis, gastritis, urethritis, laryngitis, coughs…) burns, insect stings, bites, gastritis with digested food vomiting, feverishness.
- Helps the body to acquire oxygen, increasing blood adherence, which leads to improved tissue oxygenation.
Uses: Increases the individual’s energy levels, improves the performance of the immune system, weakness, exhaustion, anorexia, before and after physical activity, pathologies relating to ailments caused by relaxed muscle tissue (constipation…)
- Iron metabolism disorders: anaemia, haemorrhages
Salt no. 4 Kalium chloratum or Kalium Muriaticum (Potassium chloride)
Potassium chloride is the most important salt of the intercellular space. It can be found in blood, muscles and nerves. Potassiom chloride deficiency causes a white or greyish-white fibrous exudation – without this salt, cerebral cells cannot be synthesised.
- Secondary inflammatory conditions, with white or greyish-white secretions, pus, white, mucous, fibrous phlegm. Gland enlargement.
- Remedy of choice for skin and mucous membrane lesions
- Regulates the mechanisms that eliminate fluid from the body
- Aids muscle and nerve function
- Aids sugar and protein metabolism
Uses: Secondary inflammatory conditions with the associated characteristics (gastritis, tonsillitis, cold sores, ear infections, conjunctivitis, diarrhoea, coughs, vomiting…)eczema and post-vaccination pathologies, white warts, localised mycoses, adiposity, food anxiety, intolerance of fats
Salt no. 5: Kalium Phosphoricum (potassium phosphate)
- Potassium phosphate nourishes, coordinates and ensures the optimal function of nerves and muscles. Lack of potassium phosphate will lead to their degeneration and weakening.
- Regulates the exchange of oxygen in muscle proteins (myoglobin)
Uses: Stress, exhaustion, atrophy, muscle weakness of any sort, nervous disorders, restlessness, irritability, anticipation, diarrhoea due to anticipation manto pobre , intestinal decay with excess wind, as an additional measure for myocardial weakness.
Salt no. 6: Kalium Sulphuricum (potassium sulphate)
- Acts primarily within the skin and liver, and secondly within the upper respiratory tract (bronchial tubes) and the stomach. It is also responsible for cellular respiration and is present in all cells containing iron. It is the salt that is used in tertiary inflammatory conditions, characterised by greenish-yellow discharge in the skin or epithelium.
Uses: Chronic skin conditions, dandruff, itches, chronic mucous membrane illness with associated secretions (laryngitis, bronchitis, conjunctivitis, gastritis, nocturnal asthma …)
Chronic gastrointestinal mucous diseases causing the tongue to turn yellow. Regenerates the epithelium (peeling and flaking of the epidermis), purifies blood.
Salt no. 7: Magnesia Phosphorica (magnesium phosphate)
Actions: It predominantly has antispasmodic properties
Uses: Intense pain accompanied by immobility. Pains improve when pressure or heat is applied to the affected area. Neuropathic and muscular pain, spasms, cramps, contractures, paralyses, eye or muscular ticks, convulsions hollow organ colic, muscular rigidity, restlessness, nervousness, anxiety, whooping cough.
Salt no. 8: Natrum Chloratum (Sodium chloride, common salt)
- Their main function is to regulate the metabolism of fluids in the body
- Acts upon nutritional disruptions
- Aids recuperation from exhaustion
- Sodium chloride deficiency affects mucous membranes, leading to oedema, hyperaemia, and increased mucous secretions (transparent, watery, lumpy and frothy mucus)
Uses: Obesity, Oedema, malnutrition, weakness, exhaustion, catarrh with the usual secretions (upper respiratory tract), conjunctivitis, illness that appears after being wet, lack of hair, vomiting, skin and mucous membrane dryness
Salt no. 9: Natrum Phosphoricum (sodium phosphate)
- Acts upon the acid-base balance, decreasing metabolic acidosis
- Its ions are essential for many metabolic processes, which are stimulated and purified by this salt.
- Helps towards fat metabolism and emulsification in the gastrointestinal tract
Uses: rheumatism, acidosis, dyspepsia and other digestive disorders, lipid metabolism alterations: adiposity, fat malabsorption, greasy skin, dysthyroidism.
Salt no. 10: Natrium Sulfuricum (sodium sulphate)
- Eliminates excess fluid in the body by reducing the amount of water that is absorbed by the intestine; this supports the excretion process and the body is purified and detoxified.
- Sulphate stimulates the chemical reactions that generate energy and heat
- Stimulates liver, bile duct, intestine, kidney and pancreatic function
- Deficiency in sodium sulphate causes catarrh with green or grey secretions
Uses: diarrhoea, oedema, water retention, chronic constipation, in situations where the liver needs to be cleansed, obesity
Salt no. 11: Silicea (Silicic acid)
- Contributes to the formation of collagen so it forms part of the protein that is used for cartilage, tendon, connective tissue and bone development. It also strengthens hair, skin and nails.
- It is a remedy frequently used for chronic suppurations such as: abscesses, fistulas, boils…
- Anti-aging: restores tissue firmness and consistency
Uses: Abscesses, fistulas, furuncles…bone growth and development dysfunctions (stimulates bone growth), joint ailments (arthrosis, infections…), nail conditions: flaky, brittle nails, white stains, deformities, restores hair and skin condition (alopecia, dry skin, poor hair growth) muscle strains, puppies that appear older than they are, chronic constipation, anal fissures, urate crystals in cats
Salt no.12: Calcium Sulphuricum (Calcium sulphate)
- Calcium sulphate is found in amino acids, which means it is in all proteins, hormones, enzymes that regulate cellular metabolic processes.
- Plays a part in the formation of cartilage.
- Eliminates chronic suppuration of thick, bloody secretions and encourages regeneration of the affected tissues.
Uses: skin and mucous membrane suppurations, bone growth disorders, abscesses and boils.
Recommended dosage for Schüssler salts in Tablet form
|Cats and dogs under 5kg||½ tablet / 3 times a day|
|Dogs between 6kg and 20kg||1 tablet / 3 times a day|
|Dogs weighing over 20kg||2 tablets / 3 times a day|