Some types of alternative medicine are suitable for haemorrhoids – the most useful of these are phytotherapy, acupuncture and naturopathy. We will help you to understand why below.
Haemorrhoids are dilations of the veins of the venous plexus that can be found in the mucous membranes of the anus or rectum.
We need to differentiate between internal haemorrhoids (these affect the superior plexus) and external haemorrhoids (these are usually below the anus-rectum junction, and they can usually be found underneath the exterior skin).
To explain it in a different way, we can compare haemorrhoids to varicose veins that are found either on the inside of the rectum or on the anus.
There are a number of alternative medicine disciplines that can be of great use to us in the treatment of haemorrhoids.
We will go through a few of the most significant ones below:
Alternative medicine for haemorrhoids
- Phytotherapy: Phytotherapy itself can be very helpful, especially when it is used externally with sitz baths or by decocting blackberry, mullein, plantain and tormentilla.
- Homeopathy: some of the most useful homeopathic remedies for haemorrhoids include: Sepia officinalis, Sulfur, Nux vomica and Kalium carbonicum.
- Chromotherapy: Chromotherapy has many benefits. In this sense, yellow is the most appropriate colour.
- Acupuncture: The following acupoints can be worked on: kongzui, shangqiu, taibai, feiyang, chibian and chengfu.
- Naturopathy: evening primrose oil and psyllium supplements may be useful.
Photo: CC0 Public Domain